Monday, June 29, 2009

I wonder if grass can tell its not really rain?



Watering the Lawn

I was driving home from getting fast food(alright, I caved and gave in to my cravings) and I noticed this old woman hunched over with a hose watering a random patch of grass that was in the corner between the street and sidewalk. She was just holding the water and letting it run. I never really have understood the fascination of homeowners in Texas watering the lawn. Its just going to die...its Texas. We don't get rain for the majority of days over the summer, you're fighting a losing battle lady. That water could be going to good use, like putting it in a glass and drinking it.

Another good example of this is my mother. They recently removed a tree that had been there for many years out in front of the house. It was so big that it had killed all the grass underneath it. Now that the tree is gone there is a patch of bare dirt in our front yard. My mom felt compelled to plant "baby grass" and now she waters it every day. As of yet no grass...

I think that when I "grow up" (I guess I can't really say this anymore) or when I get my own house I'm not going to pay any attention to the lawn. In fact, on second thought, I may pull a Mike Brady and just have astro-turf in the front and back yards. That would make my life much easier. If I have a kid that complains about it being too hot to play on due to the sun, I will just tell them to sit inside and play video games like a normal kid. Yes, I think I'll make a great parent.

In closing, I think you could do something more useful than water your lawn. Nobody drives around neighborhoods just for the sole purpose of looking at a yard. Alright, its possible my mother has done that at some point in her life but still, most people don't. Why don't you just save that water for the rest of us and go do something more useful...like put on clothes.

Toodles.

No comments: